You should feel the benefits of neuromuscular massage within the next day or two, and muscles tightened by strenuous exercise or repetitive motions at work should feel more relaxed for up to two weeks.
Aromatherapy is offered as an upgrade to any massage service you book with us. Massage therapists use a blend of different oils to help alleviate symptoms including:
- Stress, anxiety, depression
- Muscle soreness or inflammation
- Pain from conditions like kidney stones or osteoarthritis
- Side effects of cancer treatments like nausea and pain
It is believed aromatherapy works by activating smell receptors in your nose and sending messages to your nervous system. Different aromas may activate areas of your brain; for example, it may activate your limbic system, which is linked to emotions, or your hypothalamus, which can by releasing serotonin, a pain-relieving chemical.
Aromatherapy is safe for most clients to try, but be sure to mention any allergies or sensitivities to your massage therapist. We recommend aromatherapy be used as a complementary therapy and not a replacement to any regular medical treatments you are receiving.
If you are experiencing temporomandibular joint disorder (often shortened to TMJ), intra-oral massage can provide much-needed relief from symptoms such as:
- TMJ noise (clicking, popping, or grinding)
- Clenching or bruxism (grinding)
- Tension headaches and migraines
- Muscle spasms in the head, jaw, neck, and shoulder
- Mandible deviations with movement
- Limited opening and movement of the jaw
- Earaches (pain and congestion)
- Swelling and pain on the side of the face
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Fatigued facial muscles
- Sensitive teeth and difficulty chewing
- Cervical (neck) pain
TMJ associated symptoms can be a result of past traumas, emotional trauma, whiplash, stress, anxiety, postural dysfunction, and trigger points in the muscles of your face and neck. It is important to note that emotional or physical trauma release is common with this type of work.
Intra-oral massage is performed by massage therapists with additional training - the therapist will wear gloves to work muscles and fascia in the mouth, and may also release tension in surrounding muscles of the neck, scalp, and shoulders.
You can call either our RiNo or Highlands studio or check our staff page to see what each of our massage therapists' specializations are.